Monday, April 11, 2011

Chinua Achebe


This week we focused on three works by Chinua Achebe. These pieces were "An Image of Africa", "Girls at War" and "The Madman". In the stories Achebe uses irony and satire to convey his messages about Africa socially, politically, and culturally. I really enjoyed this. Though I must read the stories a few times to fully grasp what may be happening within them, it makes finding the messages and lessons that Achebe presents much more enjoyable and beneficial.
I found a stronger connection to both “An Image of Africa” and “The Madman.” I had a much more difficult time relating to the story “Girls at War.” This being said I still enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed reading the others. All of them have made me think of Africa, racism, insanity, and war in ways that I had never done so before. They showed me images that I have never experienced firsthand, but could somehow feel and connect to like I had.
Overall, my favorite piece that we read was “The Madman.” I found this story to be the most relatable. I truly began to feel for Nwibe towards the end of the story. When he was first introduced I thought he was just an arrogant character, but once everyone turns on him and believes he is crazy, Nwibe is left alone. No one will look at him the same way ever again. Achebe does an amazing job at showing the reader how the minds work. He is showing us that when you are told something for so long, you begin to believe it blindly. This is true outside of colonialism, and Africa. It is true all around the world in every setting. I think every reader could connect to this in some way. I agree with Achebe, only through education and using your own mind is it possible to overcome this herd mentality.
After reading these, I am very interested in reading other works by Achebe. I would also suggest his works to others looking to explore new ideas and to expand their minds.

1 comment:

  1. Nice graphic: I like how looks straight at the viewer. It's intense. You do a good job summarizing and discussing "The Madman." In your next posting see if you can develop a little further how your personal experience informs your analysis. For example, here, when you write, "I agree with Achebe, only through education and using your own mind is it possible to overcome this herd mentality." You could explain what it is about your personal experience that leads you to believe this, and then make the connection to the conclusion that Achebe is suggesting.

    ReplyDelete